History of Amidon
Amidon was organized in 1910 and was a part of Billings County at that time. It was named in the honor of Judge Amidon of Fargo, ND.
In 1910 a plan was put in to place to separate Billings County into Slope, Billings and Golden Valley Counties. In November of 1914 a vote was carried by the people to complete the separation of the County and Slope County came into being. Amidon was named the temporary County seat. In 1916 an election was held, and Amidon became the county seat.
Amidon was originally intended to have a Railroad Terminal but in 1917 these plans were terminated pending the end of the war or until such time as there was money or men available to do the work.
In its younger days Amidon had 2 banks, a hotel, two grocery stores, two newspapers, a blacksmith shop, a lumber yard, hardware store, theater, pool hall, bowling alley and ballroom, Ford agency with a garage, and later a restaurant, barber shop, livery stable and gas station. In 1930 the population of Amidon was 162 people.
2020 Census: 20
County Population: 727
Amidon is located on the edge of the Badlands with the Little Missouri River running along the west and northern edge of the county. The historic HT Ranch and Logging Camp Ranch are located near Amidon along with the Burning Coal vein, White Butte, the highest point in North Dakota, Black Butte and Chalky Butte.